CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, October 24, 2008

Update...

My dad recently completed his third round of powerful chemotherapy and 2nd stem cell transplant up at the Huntsman Center in SLC. He returned home on Tuesday, very sick and extremely drained. After putting his body through so much, he is weaker than a kitten at the moment. We are hoping by Thanksgiving he will be up for some turkey or at least have an appetite for something other than Ensure, as his taste buds are zapped. My mom takes care of his every need, with every pill going in his mouth at precisely the right time, every shot or antibiotic drip getting flushed through the IV. Mom has been an incredible caregiver. I love them both so MUCH! What a TEAM!

Here's my favorite cowboy! This is my dad, years ago. One of my most treasured pictures...


On Monday, Lauren and I were in SLC and stopped by to say hello. Mom and dad were just arriving back to their U of U guest house where they had stayed the last few weeks while dad received chemo, but they had some good news: Dad was coming home the next day! His blood counts were excellent. Cancer cells are getting walloped as we speak...


As the effects of Dad's 2nd chemo treatment were wearing off, his hair had grown back a bit. However, as of Monday, the effects of the new chemo were already becoming apparent: Now you see eyebrows, now you don't!!


Yeah...mom would give a tug and this is what would happen. This was the third tug too, by the time I whipped out my camera to take a picture! The hair on his head was coming out in clumps too...

2 comments:

Ginga said...

Your mom and dad are pretty awesome - I read about them and can feel their love, and your families love for them and each other - you're lucky to have such a great family.
Love you guys!!!

Grant and Taryn Layton said...

What a fighter! It is so crazy what chemo can do (makes you sicker to make you better) but I'm glad he's getting rid of that cancer! You guys are all amazing. Thanks for sharing :)